Followers

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Flashback of the week: Radio Africa by Latin Quater



So I'm sat in Nandos with my kids and we're just tucking into a plate of Roulette Chicken Wings, when they start playing 'Radio Africa' on the sound system. OK, so it's an African themed restaurant so I guess that it's nothing unusual. But the last time I'd heard the tune was when a mate of mine, James Papa, was bang into Latin Quarter in the 80s and he used to try and educate me with sounds that I'd not have heard. It worked and he turned me onto some killer stuff, but I was never that into Latin Quater, except for 'Radio Africa'...

So 20 years later sat in a retail park somewhere in England in some South African chicken restaurant with my teenage kids, to hear the song was a bit of a blast from the past, and a bit more poignant as James died from AIDS at the end of the 80s. It was sweet to be unexpectedly reminded of a friend who has passed...

No comments: