Followers

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The God of Drug Deals



CO-OP CITY, THE BRONX, 2000

I used to drive here to buy weed in the bad old days. Me and a guy from the ad agency I was working at would drive to a shopping mall in Co-Op city and wait in his bright red jeep for our connection to show. How obvious can you get? Two white guys sat in a jeep with connecticut plates sat waiting to score. But we lucked out or the god of drug deals was looking over us and nothing bad ever happened except the weed was never that good but it was cheap for New York, so what did we really expect?




A LIQUOR STORE SIGN, MOUNT KISCO, 2000

I don't think I ever went in here but this sign always reminded me of the old America, before it went all cosmopolitan and diverse (well, parts of it anyway!) I'd always drive past this sign on route 117 past the shitty strip malls that seemed stuck in the 60s, through the time-warp that is Mount Kisco, on my way to Shoprite to do the food shopping. When moved to New York I couldn't believe how limited the range of foods in the supermarket. You'd expect that they would have everything on offer, but no...

Somewhere outside of the US tomorrow, promise.

No comments: